Puppy Start Right - Debbie Martin - KPCT Edition
With almost 200 pages, corresponding photos, and step-by-step instructions, Puppy Start Right is the ideal book for fostering and enhancing a “parenting relationship” among people and their dogs! This book is a great resource for all dog parents, dog trainers, puppy socialization class instructors, shelters, and adoption agencies. Whether you are raising a new puppy, have recently adopted an adolescent dog, or are living with an adult dog, Puppy Start Right is the book for you. This book sets the foundation for a lifelong partnership between you and your dog based on a mutual understanding and trust.
Puppy Start Right is more than a puppy book about socialization; it’s a positive approach to problem solving, prevention, and training, all without the use of force. Problem-solving topics address common behaviors of adolescent dogs, including mouthing/biting, jumping, chewing, digging, counter surfing, and stealing objects. Prevention topics include confinement/independence training, food bowl exercises, handling and restraint, and more.
The book also includes:
- The Developmental Life Stages of Dogs
- Domestication, Social Behavior, How Dogs Perceive the World, and Canine Communication
- How Dogs Learn
- Positive Socialization and What to do if Your Dog is Frightened?
- Applying the Problem-Solving Model to Prevent Common Behavior Problems
- House Training in 5 Easy Steps
- Foundation Training Exercise